Ancient Sites

Ruskington's Domesday Book ReferenceIn 1086, at the time of the Domesday Survey [reference left] the village was recorded as “Rischintone” (“farmstead where rushes grow“) and had a population of 39 households (very large for its time), made up of 8 villagers, 8 smallholders, 22 freemen and 1 priest.

Clearly, though, from numerous archaeological remains and artifacts found in the vicinity, the settlement, now know as ‘Ruskington‘, is much older.

The remains of a Roman road runs parallel and to the west of Lincoln Road, but is apparent only in aerial photographs. Ruskington’s Anglo-Saxon burial ground is situated on Lincoln Road near Mill House. At the time of the Domesday Book, it was part of the ancient Flaxwell “wapentake” (a collection of local parishes).

On a map of the area around the Village, dated 1779, above, the area north of Ruskington is clearly named as “Flaxwell“.

Although this website is primarily intended for family historians and researchers to gain information of where their ancestors are interred in the village, this section looks at some of the older burial grounds and the artifacts found with them.

In 2021 permission was given for the building of 190 new homes on fields east of Lincoln Road, on the northern edge of the village.

At their meeting on 30 March 2021 Ruskington Parish Council approved the naming of this development as “Flaxwell Fields“, and selected names such as ‘Saxon Way‘, ‘Coteland Road‘, ‘Roman Way‘ and ‘Dunsby Close‘ to reflect the historic heritage of this area.